Téléphone : +33 (0)2 33 20 81 45
Manoir de la Fieffe, La Fieffe, 50470 La Glacerie – Voir plan

The Manor in the past

The history of the Fieffe Manor House is linked to the Ravalet château also known as the Tourlaville château. The two buildings were built around 1560 by Jean II de Ravalet, a leading figure of the Tourlaville Lords. Jean was the eldest of the family and he was granted the office of commendatory abbot of Hambye when he was 12 years old as a reward for his father’s services to King Charles IX during the wars of La Ligue. He became the Vicar-general of the Coutances bishop , a canon and great precentor in the cathedral. As a humanist he contributed to the influence of the Coutances College with his money.

From the 16th century to the middle of the 19 th century the Fieffe Manor House had the same owners as the château of Tourlaville. Then held from the Fouquet de Revil to the Clerel de Tocqueville, the Fieffe was sold by Alexis de Tocquevillethe famous political thinker on February 1st 1838 to two brothers Antoine and François Pierre from Cherbourg . Their descendants sold the property again to some Aimable Huet , and one of his children, abbot Joseph Huet, became a curate in the Coutances cathedral. He carried out the extension of the manor respecting the original architecture of the building.
So the two abbots marked the history of la Fieffe with a 3 centuries’interval .

Admiral Lemonnier, a rear admiral in the Navy during World War II inherited the estate. After fulfilling the highest offices this exceptional soldier retired to la Fieffe where he died in 1963.

 

In the TOP 25 of the best french guest houses !

Book on-line our holiday cottage !

Petites annonces maurice Pneus ile maurice Tyres mauritius